【SELANGOR】CHILING WATERFALL, LET'S HIKE!


Chiling Waterfall - Spend half of my day here to hike!



It’s been 3 years since I went for a hike. It was a class trip to Broga hill with my uni mates. Ever since that trip, I’ve always wanted to try a different place to hike but couldn’t find any “kaki” ~hiking buddy until I saw my friends’ hiking photos on social media recently, I buzzed them in our group chat.


My friend suggested Kuala Kubu Bharu because it’s suitable for beginner and nearer to my place, about 1-hour drive from Kota Damansara. I agreed immediately without searching for more information. Well, I SHOULD have done some research before going. Lol! You’ll know what happened when you read until the end.



The Chiling waterfall, beautiful and impressive waterfalls of Selangor, is situated inside the Sungai Chiling Fish Sanctuary, a fisheries research project run by the Selangor State Fisheries Department to protect a species of fish called mahseer, where you can find along the Kuala Kubu Fraser's Hill Road.



When you see a gigantic lake on your left while on the way to Chiling waterfall, that’s the Selangor River Dam. We stopped by here to take some memorable photos. I was excited! .... Until the moment when I have to cross the river….


To get to the top of Chiling waterfall and enjoy the spectacular view, we went through an adventurous trek along the river and waded across the river six times! Besides the fallen tree trunks where you need to lift yourself over them and encounter strong water currents sometimes or slippery rocks while crossing the river, it is an easy trek that suitable for all beginners. You won’t find very steep trails or lots of obstacles there.


The only thing that I find it challenging was when I have to wade across the river! There were large shoals of fish in the river which I didn’t know until I arrived at the 2nd river!! The first crossing was easy, we crossed the river by using the suspension bridge. From the 2nd to 5th crossing, it was a nightmare! cried I AM AFRAID OF FISH especially surrounded by large shoals of fish and when the fishes contact with any part of my body. I know this is a rare phobia. I was trying hard not to think about it and conquer my fear but when the moment I see the fishes....


oh…my….. howwww am I going to cross the river?
 


I asked my friend to walk in front of me so that the fishes will swim away, but NO, there were too much of fishes, no matter what they will still be in your surroundings. It took me so long to make my first move. I screamed, I shouted, I waded in big steps, shooo the fishes away by splashing the water……just to cross the river. FYI, I shouted and screamed during the 1st crossing only, don’t want anyone to think I’m a weirdo.





The waterfall came into view after 45 mins to 1 hour of trekking. People swim and relax in the natural river water and feed the fishes at the foot of the waterfall. I will enjoy playing with water if there are no fishes... haha... We climbed up to the huge rock to enjoy the spectacular view, the breezy weather, waterfall, and its surrounding nature. Other than that, some people were there for a picnic and camp at the campsite.


We spent less than an hour at the waterfall and head back when it was about to rain.






#MeganTravelTips

• Bring extra clothes because you will definitely get wet

• Use a waterproof bag to store your belongings. I fell and sat on the rock while crossing the river, my bag got wet, luckily my camera and phone was fine

• Follow the signs or people, remember the trail, to ensure you’re not lost.

• Be extra careful and move slowly when crossing the river. The water current could be strong and the rocks are slippery. Yeap. that’s the reason why I fell, I was trying to move faster because of the fishes
• Wear a pair of shoes (rubber shoes/old trainers) with good grip or waterproof shoes. The sole of my shoes came off facepalm





Admission Fees


RM1.00 per person, including children.

Extra RM3 for every plastic bag or food container with food inside. (Refundable if you show your food waste/rubbish to the ranger at the ticket counter)

* For safety purpose, you have to register yourself before going in and check out before you got out.


Operation hours

8am to 6pm

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday only. Closed from Monday to Thursday.

* The ranger will not allow visitors to trek to the waterfall during rainy seasons


Cheers
INSTAGRAM: _megantsy

Share your thoughts :

@_megantsy